ERIF is proud to announce the Call for Contributions for its second conference Returning the Gaze II: Stories of Resistance. Picking up from our first conference – 2014’s Returning the Gaze: Blackface in Europe – our second edition will continue to present a critical view on European racialised imagery, while approaching from a broader angle the departs from only blackface related themes, namely with a focus on resistance to racism and racist imagery. Following the conference, ERIF aims to curate an edited volume (either for a journal or book) based on the programmed presentations and workshops.
Part II will be hosted at the University of Innsbruck, Austria on the 4th and 5th November 2016 and will examine the usage of racist and racialised imagery across the following topics:
- Introducing Europe: past and present resistance against racialised imagery
- Islamophobia: what this means for “multicultural” Europe in 2016
- Seeking asylum in fortress Europe
- Intersections of race, gender and trans/homophobia in entertainment and advertising
- Images Matter: decoding healthcare and welfare policies
- Decolonising the classroom from primary children to PhD candidates
We welcome proposal submissions for both panel presentations and for workshops that address any of the above topics. Note that where relevant, proposals may contain visual and/or audio material.
Please submit proposals of no more than 300 words to email@example.com by the 14th April 2016 (NB: this deadline has been extended).